Appropriate footwear must be worn; this includes mountain boots or recognised fell running shoes/boots. Flat running trainers are not acceptable.
In addition, each member must carry or wear:
- Trousers – to the ankle (tracksters or running tights are considered suitable).
- Long sleeved top.
- A spare long sleeved top.*
- Waterproof jacket and over-trousers.
- Gloves or mitts.
- Balaclava or hat.
- A working torch or head-torch (suitable for navigation at night).
- A working whistle.
- A working compass.
- Pencil and writing paper.
- O.S. Map (untrimmed) Sheet 115 or Explorer / Landranger 17.
- Substantial emergency rations of minimum weight 1/2 lb (226.7 g).
- A liquid container of at least 500ml capacity, full at start of race.
- Survival bag which a person can get inside. Reflective blankets are not acceptable.
- First Aid pack of adhesive plaster dressings, one full roll of 2” bandage and one 3” wound dressing. IN ADDITION, each TEAM must carry one full roll 3” crepe bandage, two 6” wound dressings and two triangular bandages.
Each member is required to have a rucksack or other suitably sized bag to carry the above.
*Therefore competitors starting the event in vests or T shirts will be required to carry two (2) long sleeved tops.
***The Registration/declaration form certifies that each team member is equipped as per the rules and is aware that participation is at their own risk. Kit checks will occur at the Finish, and there may be spot checks en route, for which time allowances will be awarded. Deficiencies in equipment will incur penalties (rule 16).
# Competitors should wear suitable windproof/wicking clothing, and are advised against wearing cotton garments (even over the top of suitable clothing) as they retain moisture, becoming heavy and wet and increasing the risk of hypothermia.